Wednesday 23 February 2011

Not my turn yet.

So, I hear that from the 20th of March until the 26th, it'll be 'A' Week. As the website states:
'A' Week is not about being disrespectful to religion or people who have religious views, it’s about quietly showing that there are more people than may be realised who are ‘Good without God’ and who don’t need religion to influence their lives. 
It's kinda encouraging, really.  But as much as I would like to join the ranks in this movement, the time is not right for me just yet to come out.  One friend knows, and I suspect more have their suspicions, but no point in me coming out as agnostic/atheist yet.  Why?  Simply, because I don't think my otherwise traditional Muslim family know.  I wouldn't say they're fundamentalist in their thinking and practice, but I don't think they'd take too kindly to one of their own blood coming out as a heathen.  Especially my mother, who as of late has been rather morbid and developed a very skewed and hypocritical religious viewpoint.  No, once I move out of the family nest, and by the cultural rules am thus my own woman, I can come out a bit more freely.  Although I will say that if everyone in my family is surprised then (extended family and immediate family included), I would be shocked and maybe even a little bit appalled at their apparent short-sightedness.  After all, I haven't been a model Muslim woman since I was born, so why would it be any surprise if I told them I thought it was bull?

So yeah, to those of you who are out, or are planning on coming out very soon, well done.  Whilst I may not be waving my flag on Facebook, I will at least do so here.  Heck, I doubt anyone I know reads this anyway, so it's not like I'm burning my own boat down or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment